Liverpool has not scored a goal in a Premier League game for the first time this season.
Liverpool coach Jurgen Klopp has said that the position of his team in the table is the last thing on his mind after the draw in Newcastle until the end of the year 2020 three points clear at the top of the Premier League.
The Reds finish the year they started it, but a second consecutive draw against a bottom means that Manchester United, which has a game in hand, is three points lower.
Mohamed Salah missed two big chances in St James’ Park, while his compatriot Sadio Mane scored in the 80th minute. In the second minute, a clearing of the goal line prevented the connection.
Roberto Firmino also had a good chance halfway through the second half, but missed the goal after Newcastle goalkeeper Carl Darlow saved a corner.
On the 88th minute. In the 57th minute the Brazilian striker shot a free kick into the corner, which was led by Darlow to give the hosts a well-deserved lead.
It’s nice to be on top of it, but it doesn’t mean anything, Klopp said after the match.
We had the draw tonight, and we’re still at the top of the list, just to show how difficult everyone’s season is. If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Reds still stuttering on highway
Whatever the result, Liverpool would always end the calendar year at the top of the Premier League rankings – it was just a question of how far they would go.
And a draw in Newcastle seems like a missed opportunity.
We didn’t get the result we wanted, but it’s not the worst thing in the world and much worse things are happening, Klopp told Amazon Prime.
But I liked the game – we’re not happy with the result, but I’m happy with the achievement, because that’s how you have to play and defend.
We did everything we could, but it’s still disappointing.
Klopp praised a very good job despite the draw.
The champions are strong favourites to win a title for the first time since 1984, but their out-shape is a constant problem.
Liverpool has won seven of their eight home games this season, but has only won two of their eight away games.
The list of offended reds is widely known, especially in defense. And Klopp revealed after the match that the suspended middle rider Joel Matip will probably be gone for another three weeks because of a muscle injury.
However, it was their offensive trio of Moons, Salah and Firmino that looked unusual in the Northeast.
All three of them have regularly been in a good position, but have not been able to find a breakthrough. Liverpool had a total of 11 shots, but only four hit the target.
Bruce – I hope the fans enjoyed.
Bruce is looking forward to a big point for Newcastle.
Newcastle coach Steve Bruce praised 30-year-old Darlow, who made a series of second-half saves to keep the championship leaders at bay.
When you play against one of the best teams in the world, you need a little luck, but the fighting spirit and willingness was there for everyone to see, Bruce told Sport.
I’m excited for my players. Overall, I am very, very satisfied with the performance.
Bruce is under pressure and the playing style of his team has been severely criticized in recent weeks.
In December the Magpies only won and lost once in the Carabao Cup against Brentford.
And as expected, they leaned back and defended in the first 45 minutes with only 27% obsession.
Newcastle earned their first Premier League point since October 2017, ending a series of five consecutive defeats.
But they had their chances. Callum Wilson, who returned to the field, forced Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson to make a brilliant rescue from a sharp angle after 11 minutes.
And Ciaran Clark couldn’t beat the goalie either. In the 79th minute Alisson flew left to push away the defender’s header.
We knew we’d disappoint everyone in a big cup match. We screwed up, we added Bruce.
We have to accept the criticism we get, but I hope the fans who watched the game tonight really appreciate the performance.
It was a great show and we’re looking forward to Sunday.
The tie takes Bruce’s 14th. Place four points from the top half, but eight points from the bottom three.
What’s the next step?
Liverpool travels to Southampton on Monday, while Newcastle plays its next game in Leicester on Sunday.
The player of the game
- Team number 26PseudoDarlow
- Team number5Player NameSher
- Team number13Player nameC Wilson
- Team number18Player nameFernandez
- Team number2Player’s nameClark
- Team number 22 Player NameҮedlin
- Team number4PseudoM Long-term
- Squadron number 14Veteran’s nameHeyden
- Squadron number11Player nameRicci
- Team number23Player nameMurphy
- Team number9 Player nameJolinton
- Team number24PlaynameAlmiron
- Team number 15Player nameLewis
- 2ClarkBay at 12Minutes
- 11RitchieReplacement forLewisin 86’minutes
- 23MurphySubstituted for Almironate 67’minutes
- 14HaydenReserved for 85Minutes
- 4M long stick
- 13C Wilson.
- 16 Hendrick
- 36S long stick
- 47 PhillipsBocking at 78 miles.
- 3FabinhoBooking at 49 minutes
- 17JonesReplacement forWinealdumat 68’minutes
- 14 Henderson.
- 7 min Replaced by Thiago Alcantara within 73 min.
- 11SalahReplacement by Shakirat 90+2 minutes
- 10 Manet
- 6Tiago Alcantara
- 18 Minamino
- 46R Williams
- 76H Williams
- The game is over: Newcastle United 0, Liverpool 0.
- End of the second half, Newcastle United 0, Liverpool 0.
- Replacement : Liverpool. Xherdan Shaqiri replaces Mohamed Salah.
- Corner, Newcastle United. Prepared by Trent Alexander-Arnold.
- Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) is punished after committing an offence.
- Newcastle United’s Matthew Longstaff’s free kick is awarded in the opposite half.
- Attempted rescue. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) scores with a cup from the middle of the box at the bottom left. Prepared by Andrew Robertson with a cross.
- Corner, Liverpool. Introduced by Fabian Scheer.
- Attempt blocked. Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) rattles a right-sided shot blocked by the edge of the box. Sponsored by Giorginio Wijnaldum.
- Replacement : Newcastle United. Jamal Lewis is filling in for Matt Ritchie.
- Isaac Hayden (Newcastle United) has been booked for an offense.
- Thiago (Liverpool) hits a free kick on the right wing.
- Isaac Hayden (Newcastle United) is punished after committing an offence.
- Offside, Liverpool. Thiago makes a pass, but Trent Alexander-Arnold is sidelined by the referee.
- Attempt blocked. The right-hand drive shot from Joelinton (Newcastle United) from the right side of the penalty area is deflected into the penalty area.
- Corner, Newcastle United. Prepared by Alisson.
- Attempted rescue. Newcastle United’s Ciaran Clark’s header was stopped in the middle of the penalty area. Prepared by Matt Ritchie with a cross.
- Nathaniel Phillips (Liverpool) has been booked for an offense.
- Nathaniel Phillips (Liverpool) is punished after he has committed an offence.
- Joelinton (Newcastle United) hits a free kick on the right wing.