Mark Wood previously worked for IPL on the Chennai Super Kings side.

England bowler Mark Wood said it was a difficult decision to pull out of the Indian Premier League auction and run out of vital cash.

Wood, 31, has asked to withdraw from Thursday’s auction to spend more time with his family.

Had he been selected by one of the eight IPL teams, he might have been away from home until June.

The fact that I was available for England was also a Woods decision, but it was mostly my family who made that decision, he said.

He went on to say: I just wanted to be able to unplug, go home and recharge for the second reason – which of course is to prepare for England.

I’m trying to prioritize. I don’t want my body to let me down or have mental or physical bruises at the end of the year which includes the World Cup, the Ashes and a big series against India.

Obviously, big names were sold for a lot of money [at the auction]. It’s great for her. I didn’t feel like it was the right time. Even though it is money that changes my life, I am happy with my decision in the long run and I hope it will be a good one for me.

Wood returned to England for the India tour after resting for the first two Tests of the series. His decision to miss this year’s IPL means he will be available for England’s home Test series against New Zealand in June.

England’s policy of allowing players to recuperate during winter tours to Sri Lanka and India has been criticised, but Mr Wood defended the ECB and believes it is unfair to say that T20s are preferred to Tests.

There’s a lot of cricket this year. The ECB made the right decision by keeping an eye on the players, Mr Wood said.

I know it’s been criticized, but when do you get the chance to do it? I think it’s good that people have breaks at different times, it allows them to use different people and watch different players. She gives everyone a chance.

If things were different, we’d probably be playing against the best possible team. I understand why people [criticize], but within the group, I think it’s seen as something positive.

Potential shock to English players

Ben Stokes, Jofra Archer and Jos Buttler may not be available for the England test team due to their commitments with the IPL.

While players like Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali and Sam Curran could also be affected, Rajasthan Royals director Kumar Sangakkara said he has been assured that Stokes, Archer and Buttler – who will remain with the Royals until 2021 – will not be recalled by England before then.

The IPL qualifiers rival England’s home test against New Zealand in early June.

That is what we understand, Mr. Sangakkara said. We have received comments that these should be available to franchisees.

Our goal was to get as much clarity as possible, because doing that really puts us in a vulnerable position.

We asked the Cricket Control Council in India for clarification and they gave it to us after a discussion and after looking at what is happening and what the plan is. We have therefore structured the strategy primarily with this objective in mind. We are very, very lucky to have them as our core.

 

You May Also Like

‘Never let anyone define you, Just keep doing your best’

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady posted a video compilation on Wednesday…

The best trade Blazers can offer Rockets for James Harden

  In 2020-21, the Houston Rockets will be very different from previous…

Opinion: Prosecuting Trump is possible. Here’s how.

That’s exactly what the prosecutors have to do: Collect evidence, assess the…

2021 MLB season predictions – From division champs and World Series picks to MVP and Cy Young favorites

After a 60-game season in 2020, the MLB begins Thursday with a…